Attention Rutgers Students!
The Spring semester is just around the corner and for some of us students that means one more thing: Spring Recruitment! For those of you who don’t know, recruitment is the time of year when sororities and fraternities alike get ready to meet and greet hundreds of potential new sisters and brothers. The Spring semester is the biggest time for recruitment because the sororities get ready for what they call formal recruitment in the Panhellenic Greek community and also freshman are now allowed to rush! If you’re a girl interested in Greek Life, during formal recruitment you will be able to meet the sisters from every sorority on campus through a scheduled process. For boys, the process is mainly the same in Fall and Spring but now freshman are added to the mix. Greek Life is an amazing way to get involved during your time at Rutgers, if you’ve never thought about Greek Life before, here are a few of the many reasons you might want to consider it!
- Being a part of Greek Life makes a school of tens of thousands of students feel smaller. When I went recruitment last Spring, this was the number one reason I wanted to join. Being a freshman, I wanted nothing more to expand my horizons.
- Meeting new people and making friendships that will last a lifetime. Even if you don’t end up joining, going through recruitment you will meet tons of people. And if you do, you will have a new group of people to add to your college experience.
- Having a brotherhood or sisterhood. You might think this is the same as number two, but it’s not. A brotherhood or sisterhood is a bond like no other, not the same as friendship, only those who in Greek Life will understand this, so if you want to find out what that’s all about, give it a try!
- Being a part of tons of community service. A huge part of Greek Life is philanthropy. An organization’s philanthropy is the charity that they sponsor and raise money for along with other events such as Dance Marathon and Derby Days.
- The social life. Throughout your time in Greek Life there will be tons of opportunities to meet other Greeks through different social events almost every week!
- The real-world connections and opportunities. Networking is one of the best skills to have in college and by joining Greek Life a lot of it is done for you! You will meet people with similar interests as you along the way and you never know when an employer might see their Greek letters written on a resume! Imagine your boss being your fraternity brother?
I hope these few points have given you a better perspective on what Greek Life really is all about apart from what you see on TV. Joining Greek Life has been one of the best and most fulfilling experiences in my college career and I encourage everybody to give it a try this Spring! Whether you join a Panhellenic, Cultural, or Professional organization, I can promise you it is an awesome opportunity!
If you have any questions or concerns about rush or going Greek in general, please don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
P.S. A quick public service announcement for the ladies, Phi Mu will be a new sorority on campus this Spring. Although they won’t be part of formal recruitment, keep your eyes open for them as another option!