Happy New Year loves!
We all know the typical New Year’s resolutions made every single year, that no one ends up following through with. Trim wanted to help you stay motivated by spending this week giving you quick and easy tips that will make all of your resolutions easy and fun to accomplish. Today, I wanted to start with the most well-known, overused, and never completed resolution: “This year I’m going to get fit.”
We all have that one friends, or maybe we are that one friend, who says “it’s a new year, it’s time for me to get in shape.” They sign up for a gym membership, buy all new workout clothes, and order the fat free ice cream when you go out because they’re trying to follow their diet. Fast forward two weeks, and they’ve already had a mental breakdown, eaten every piece of chocolate in their house, and spent their gym membership money to get their nails done. The stress and pressure put on the idea of getting fit just because it is a New Years resolution makes it almost impossible to complete. I’ve found some easy ways to make getting fit fun and less stressful.
Here are a few Do’s and Don’ts to incorporate into your daily routine in order to live a healthier lifestyle:
1. Eating Healthy
- DO Drink a glass of water before every meal.
- DO Only drink water – try adding lemon, or my favorite, lime to your water – this speeds up your metabolism and gives it some flavor
- DO Eat a balanced meal – including veggies, meats, and carbs all on one plate.
- DO Watch your portion sizes, you don’t want to over eat.
- DO pack your own meals and snacks, especially on work days, or on days you know the office is going to order junk food.
- DO chew on a piece of gum in between meals to avoid over-snacking.
- DON’T eat/drink massive amounts of protein just so you can ‘bulk up’, this protein will turn into fat if you’re not working out enough.
- DON’T ignore a craving – this can cause binge eating – if you are craving chocolate, have a small piece of dark chocolate.
- DON’T starve yourself. This will cause your body to retain fat and use it to feed itself.
- DON’T eat carbs after lunchtime.
- DON’T eat after 8pm, and especially after midnight.
- DON’T skip breakfast – even if you have to grab a vitamin shake (try Carnations Essentials) on your way out, it’s better than no breakfast at all.
- DO find a FUN exercise. Working out should not be something you dread or don’t want to do. Personally, I love boxing. It is the most fun and exhilarating workout I have ever done. There is never a day that I would turn down going to the gym to box. Find an exercise that you enjoy doing, and you’ll never want to stop. Try everything from running, martial arts, soccer, lacrosse, yoga to even flirty girl fitness. The more exciting your workout is, the more excited you will be about getting in shape.
- DO take the stairs instead of the elevators.
- DO walk to the grocery store or the bank if possible.
- DO walk to your classes whenever possible.
- DO take laps around your building at work during lunch breaks, especially if you’re sitting at a desk all day.
- DON’T work out non-stop, 7 days a week. Your body needs a day of rest. If you are just starting to get really fit, try working out every other day. Once you’re more into a routine then take one day a week off.
- DON’T get discouraged if you don’t see immediate results. They say it takes 6 weeks for you to notice a change in your own body, and 12 weeks for others to notice.
If you need some more motivation, print out some inspiring pictures and quotes and leave them all around your bedroom, office, house and cell phone!
Good luck, stay motivated, and get fit!